The vast majority of websites use multiple pages to give all the information visitors need to have. They’ll use blogs, portfolios, product pages and more with complicated taxonomies and site structures that rely on lots of pages. But it’s not a requirement. In fact, you can create a one page website using WordPress that has all the information a visitor could need. It all depends on your needs, but it can be a really solid option for many folks. We’re going to highlight everything you’ll need to know to create a fantastic single page website with WordPress.
Why Would I Want a One Page Website?
It all depends on what your goals are and what you need to get across. What kinds of websites will benefit the most from a well designed one-page website?
- Landing Pages – This seems like it should be pretty obvious, but a landing page website or a product service page could be an ideal candidate for using a one page website. If all you have is a single product or service, a one page design can give you pretty much everything you need in a highly condensed website that attracts attention and keeps users engaged.
- Portfolio Websites -This can be a little bit more of a niche concept. At times, portfolio sites will choose to utilize multi page designs, but if you want to showcase your creativity with a single page, that can work as well. It’s a way to ensure your potential clients or employers see everything you want them to see without the more complicated multi-page design.
- Informational Pages – If you’re giving out information about a single event or project, the one page layout provides a perfect platform for sharing everything your visitors could possibly need.
What are the advantages of a one page website? Well, a couple of things spring to mind.
- Keep it Simple Stupid – One page themes have incredibly simple navigation and all the content can be displayed on one page. Visitors won’t find themselves wandering your website trying to find what they’re looking for. It’s all on that single page.
- Maintenance – It’s much easier to maintain a one page website. You won’t have pages and pages worth of images to deal with. In addition, completely revamping your entire site can be accomplished in a few hours, rather than a few weeks with a website that might have hundreds of pages. It’s something to keep in mind.
- SEO Advantages – If you’re only trying to rank for a handful of keywords, having everything on a single page can make sure you get the most out of your home page link juice. Your front page, that’s more likely to have the highest ‘page rank’ or ‘domain authority’, which helps to make sure your home page will rank better than it might if you have multiple pages.
What Do I Look For in a One Page Website?
There’s a lot that goes into creating any website. Lots of customization, lots of decisions to be made. Lot of ins and outs. If you’re using a one page WordPress theme, the same issues can be a factor. In some ways, a one page website gives you even more to think about, since every choice you make affects such a large amount of your content.
So, you’re going to need to look for certain aspects of any web design to make absolutely certain that your website gives you all the features you need.
Traditionally, multi page websites will offer a certain set of pages. The home page, a contact form page, a page for ‘about us’ information, perhaps a services page and if you’re selling products, there will be a handful of pages dedicated to things like the shopping cart, product descriptions and the like. If you’ve got a blog, and most sites will offer one, there’s going to be the blog page as well as a single post page. Likewise with portfolios. The portfolio page and a single project page.
Of course, there are other pages that can be added to a multi-page design. However, we’re here to discuss single page websites.
With a clean, professional one page website, here’s some of what you’re going to need.
- Call to Action Button – This is a prominently placed button that’s one of the most important parts of any single page website. It’s what gets your foot in the door with a potential client, allowing them to make contact with you to explore more about what you have to offer. This one’s really important, so do everything you can to ensure it’s placed exactly where you want it, making it clear and concise, professional and attractive.
- About Us – You’re definitely going to want to make sure folks know what you’re all about. If you have relevant skills and experiences, if your story is interesting, here’s where to share that. Making a connection with your potential clients is all important, so take the time to create something memorable, something that people can really connect with.
- Services and Products – Whether you offer one service or many. One product or a hundred, this is where you want to highlight everything that you have to offer. The benefits, the background information, everything folks need to make a decision.
- Social Media Integration – These days, social media is critical. Here’s where you’ll add links to your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other popular social media services. Allowing people to find more information can be super helpful and building your social brand is more important than ever.
- Contact Us – Of course, you’ll want to let folks get in touch with you, so you’re going to have to add a contact form page. There are plenty of good ones out there and placing that on your one page design is the best way to get folks engaged and interested in your products or services.
One Page WordPress Themes to Get You Started
With the right plugins, you could probably use just about any web template to create a one page website using WordPress, but I recommend using a dedicated one page theme. We’ve gathered up a sizable number of themes that can work great for any website.
Here’s our list of the top WordPress themes for building a one page website.
Divi is a powerful theme and one of the highest and best uses you can employ is the one page design. Divi is a drag and drop page builder, so you can put anything you want exactly where you want it. Divi comes with quite a number of pre-made page layouts and dozens of content blocks can add all the functionality you need. Keeping a one page website well organized is what it’s all about. One of the best things about Divi is the hundreds of pre-made designs you can download and install for outstanding performance right out of the box.
Hestia Pro is a material design website template for WordPress. Hestia Pro was built from the ground up as a single page website template. It’s perfect for just about any kind of business and with the modern, sleek design your page is going to look it’s best. Hestia Pro is a responsive theme, which needs to be the case these days. Responsive design makes things look great on all devices. Hestia Pro is WooCommerce ready, it works with all the most popular free page builders and you’ll have access to a bunch of cool starter websites to help get you started fast.
Ronneby is among the most popular WordPress themes around these days and I really like the options it gives you for a one page website. Ronneby is a full-featured theme that has loads of features and it’s very simple to use as well, which is great if you’re a relative newcomer to WordPress website building. You can find some more parallax WordPress themes to help you create an outstanding, full featured one page website.
The newest offering from ThemeIsle is called Neve Pro. It’s another theme that is great for one page websites and it’s super simple to use. I think you’ll like the results if this is the theme you choose. Neve Pro is fast loading, lightweight and it works with all the most popular page builder plugins. Whether you want to use Elementor, Divi, Beaver Builder or something else entirely, Neve Pro has the flexibility to work great. Neve Pro is among the fastest loading WordPress themes we’ve tested too, which can’t hurt when it comes to SEO. This is a quality one page WordPress theme. Try some more flat WordPress themes to see if you can find something else you love.
Zelle Pro is a minimalist one page WordPress theme with loads of features and plenty of cool style. Zelle Pro works with the most popular page builders, giving you tons of flexibility. You’re going to find that one page websites created with Zelle end up being fast loading, they look amazing on all devices and they’re super simple to customize. Adding any element you want is really straightforward using the Zelle Pro WordPress theme.
Parallax Pro is a Genesis Framework theme that is high performance and perfect for one page websites. One of the coolest features is the smooth scrolling parallax style that commands attention and makes for an awesome user experience.
Float is a WordPress one page theme that uses a built-in page builder to give you tons of flexibility to craft an outstanding one page WordPress website. Themify does a great job of supporting all of their themes, so you can count on that as you go through the process of setting up your one page website. You probably won’t need it though, since Float is so simple to set up and customize.
With a beautiful one page material design style, Materialism provides a lot of features and flexibility to make your content pop.
Another of the most popular one page WordPress themes is Uncode. This premium theme delivers an unforgettable layout and style for your website, whether you want to use it as a single page site or a traditional multi-page design.
How Do I Create a One Page Website with WordPress?
Crafting your one page website can be pretty simple, if you know what you’re doing. After you finish this write-up, you’ll have everything you need to get the job done.
As an example, I’ll do this using the Neve WordPress theme. This is the free version, but it will work the same for the premium version, or any of the themes highlighted above.
#1 Creating a WordPress Website –
I’m going to start with the given that you’ve got a hosting plan all picked out. If not, you may want to look at BlueHost, who does a really solid job of basic hosting plans. They even offer one click WordPress installation, which means you don’t have to fiddle with a bunch of stuff you don’t need to.
Any hosting company will do, to be perfectly honest. If you’re just getting started, something like a shared plan can be okay until you start getting some decent amounts of traffic. Of course, once you do get a larger amount of traffic, you may want to upgrade to a pro or VPS plan. What kind of web hosting do you need? Check this handy guide to find out more.
But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
So, most hosting companies will offer one click installation. Here’s what it looks like with BlueHost and Softaculous. Your hosting company may look a bit different, but the idea is the same.
It only takes a few minutes. The installer will create a new database and assign a new user automatically. The script will also install a fresh instance of WordPress and you’re off to a flying start. Once you’re ready to go, it’s time to install and activate your theme.
#2 Install and Activate Your Theme –
Whether you’ve purchased a premium theme or downloaded a free theme, the process is the same.
From your admin panel, navigate to Appearance >> Themes.
Click on Add New and Select Upload Theme to bring up the uploader where you can drag and drop your new theme. Simply browse to the location of your theme to begin the upload process.
Once it’s uploaded, click activate and we’re ready for the fun part.
#3 Customize the Appearance and Sections –
Now, navigate to Appearance >> Customize. That’s the playground for website customization using Neve.
Here’s what that looks like.
You’ll have access to all the typical features that WordPress offers. Whether you show latest posts or a static page. How the colors and backgrounds look.
Header and footer options are there, there’s choices for typography, buttons, menus and the like. The real meat of the one page customization is under Layout.
The layout section is where you can choose a container, decide on content and sidebar, blog and archive pages and the single post options. There’s a lot to go into, so I’ll save the full rundown for another post.
So, that’s the basic process for Neve, but it’s the same for nearly any web template you choose.
Well, hopefully, you’ve learned a lot about how to create a one page website using WordPress in this post. Considering how popular one page websites are, you’re in good company if you’re looking to have an amazing one page website.
Whether you’re creating a business website, a portfolio, highlighting services or crafting a purely informational website, the one page options here give you a lot to work with.
One page websites put only the most important information on the screen, making for a great user experience. You can find some more great one page WordPress themes in our full collection, so you know there are plenty of options out there.
Well, that’s going to do it for today. Have a great time and good luck with your new website!